Monday, September 5, 2011

Eid Mubarak!

Last week I was lucky enough to be invited to celebrate Eid with a family. My first week here I mentioned that we had a maid, Parvin, come in during the week at our flat, and I was a little uneasy about it at first. However, both Julie and I have gotten to know Parvin and her family quite well, and she invited us over to eat for Eid. Parvin has two children, Aman who is 11, and Nilo who is 16. They are the most adorable kids, extremely kind and generous.

Myself, Anjali, and Julie got a little dressed up and walked down the street to Parvin's place to eat. Lilo is quite the artist, and did Henna on both the girls which ended up looking amazing. Communication is sometimes difficult, Parvin speaking very little English, but her kids and nieces speak quite well. We have tried to learn a few Hindi and Marathi words but in all honesty it is so different than English, French or Spanish that is usually results in a fail! But knowing a few words does help and I think we all had a great time.

Parvin cooked us all a great meal, which ended up being one of the spiciest dishes I have had so far in Pune, an egg curry with chapati and rice. It was delicious! We chatted with her family while eating, and Lilo and Parvin's niece performed some traditional Marathi, and Rajasthani dancing which was amazing to watch. Everyone was dressed in beautiful saris, the colourful dress of the women here in India, with their matching bangles and earrings are some of the most beautiful I have ever seen.

It was extremely touching the generosity and love that was given to us. Julie at one point called Parvin our Indian mother, and after that she started calling me Baya (spelling likely wrong!) meaning brother. Overall, being at their place felt extremely warm and comfortable, it felt like being home in a way. 

Afterwards, we brought Lilo out for ice cream down the street which was a great way to hang out and calm out burning mouths from the delicious food! Being invited in to Parvin's home and being treated with such kindness and generosity during such an important celebration was extremely touching and is something that I will always remember.

Main area of the compound 
Parvin and I
Eating delicious Indian food (After 20 minutes of eating rice with my right hand I failed and grabbed a spoon)
Parvin and Nilo
Aman on the left and his cousin

No comments:

Post a Comment